Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Now a Major Motion Picture:


This Vs. This?





Not anymore!


Hey now, hey now!

Just thought I’d blow off some steam while I wait for the kettle to boil. Guess it’s not only pots that never boil.

Sigh.

Any who, here’s the topic du jour! :

Now a Major Motion Picture:


Has anyone realised that there is a particular influx of book to film adaptations there are lately? So much so that every time I scan the shelves in Eason’s, every book I see says “Now a major motion picture”. I have no problem with this…in theory.
In reality, it’s beginning to get on my wick.
To start off, I read a lot of books. An awful lot. Let’s put it this way: My library shelves are falling down.
Again.
And my other two libraries aren’t in great shape either.
Anyway, about 87% of the books I have read in the last year alone are being adapted for the silver screen. It’s pretty cool. I mean, I get to speculate all I want about who should be in it (See: Rant below), and I can watch all the cast videos, find script leaks and enjoy the general buzz surrounding the whole thing.
And then it comes out.
Generally, I am left less than enthused about book to film adaptations. And why shouldn’t I be?
For example, I’ve read the entire Percy Jackson series, and when I saw the trailers, I thought it might be good. I hoped with all my heart that they wouldn’t hurt it.
And they didn’t hurt it.
They killed it!



They completely butchered the plot line, chopping and changing it until it was like a Percy Jackson rip-off rather than the film itself. The Annabeth they cast would have made a better Clarisse, and she just wasn’t a know-it-all in a good way, but in the “why won’t you ever just shut the fudge up?!” kind of way. Logan Lerman can hold a screen. But I always associate him with Jack and Bobby. The film was more like a game, which teed me off, and Chris Columbus tied all the ends together because it was intended to be a stand-alone rather than a series.
But they should do a sequel, just so they can fix the problems with the first one. But I won’t hold my breath.

But not all book to film adaptations are bad. In fact, some are better than the film itself.
Stardust by Neil Gaiman. Love the film, the book is all right. It takes a while to get into, but it’s interesting. But, in my opinion, the films kicks it’s ass more Hit-Girl kicks Dave’s!

But why has script-writing taken such a down turn? I’m struggling to think of a film that wasn’t a adapted. You’re a genius if you know seven off the top of your head.

Or an addict to IMDB!

Anyway, I was thinking something, and wondered if you could help me out? Since Harry Potter was released, has there been any book series, besides Twilight and LOTR, to have it’s sequel given the green-light?

Points if you can think of any!


Sound off, three four.

If you think this was rant-ish, you should see me at school!

XOXO

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love Comments. They make my day, week and year.
So feel free!